The Sawiris Foundation for Social Development is taking applications for the Yousriya Loza-Sawiris Scholarship award Program at the University of Minnesota in the United States in 2021.
The Yousriya Loza-Sawiris Scholarship award program is a fully-funded, full-time program for candidates looking to obtain a Master’s Degree program in Development Practice (MDP) from the Hubert H. Humphrey School of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota, United States. The Master of Development Practice is a two-year degree program offering graduate-level scholars the skills and knowledge needed to better identify and tackle the global problems of sustainable growth, like poverty, population, conservation, health, climate change, and human rights.
The YLSS began in the academic session 2016-2017 and to date has granted seven scholarship awards.
Worth of Yousriya Loza-Sawiris Scholarship at University of Minnesota
The scholarship award provides university fees, educational materials, health insurance, living allowance and travel costs.
Eligibility for Yousriya Loza-Sawiris Scholarship at University of Minnesota
- Conclusion of a 50-credit academic master’s degree program in two academic years
- Conclusion of an 8-10 week mid-program summer field placement
- Work in the development sector in Egypt after graduation for at least two consecutive years
- Egyptian national
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree program or equivalent from a well-renown academic institution in a related area of study
- Meet the entry conditions into the academic MDP program
- Display an exceptional professional and academic track record
- Display strong social skills (extracurricular undertakings/community work/entrepreneurial ingenuity)
- Display an inability to fund program from own resources
- While no particular experience or academic track is mandated, scholars with a strong liberal arts education background and sound numerical and analytical skills will be best ready for academic success at the Humphrey School of Public Affairs
- Past coursework in statistics, mathematics, and economics is recommended
- English language adeptness is required. Valid TOEFL or IELTS test grades with at least 250 (computer-based), 600 (paper-based), 100 (internet-based, at least 22 on each section), or 7 for the IELTS.
- MDP accepts Graduate Record Examination (GRE). No particular score is needed, however, Fall 2015 admitted candidates tested within average GRE Quantitative Reasoning Percentile: 54th and average GRE Verbal Percentile: 68th.
Note: Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, and to help back the health and safety of potential students, the Humphrey School has concluded to suspend the GRE criteria for the Masters in Development Practice (MDP) for the Fall 2021 admissions cohort. The GRE will, therefore, not be needed for the Yousriya Loza-Sawiris Scholarship award (2022-2023).
How to Apply for Yousriya Loza-Sawiris Scholarship at University of Minnesota
- Interested applicants are required to submit two distinct applications to the Sawiris Foundation and to the Humphrey School by their respective closing dates:
- Scholarship award application to be handed in to Newton Education Services, on behalf of SFSD.
- Admission application to be handed in to the Humphrey School.
- *The school code for the University of Minnesota is RA 6874.
- Filled-out application form comprising the personal statement
- Copy of valid passport ID page
- Updated resume
- All undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) transcripts
- TOEFL/IELTS score
- Two letters of recommendation
- One personal photo
- HR letter from present employer comprising salary/salary slip or a bank statement in case of joblessness.
Please be aware that the Yousriya Loza-Sawiris Scholarship award applicants have to apply to, and be granted admission to, the Masters of Development Practice (MDP) program at the Hubert H. Humphrey School of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota, USA, autonomously from this scholarship award application. Being selected for the Yousriya Loza-Sawiris Scholarship award does not assure acceptance at the Hubert H. Humphrey School of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota. For additional details, please get in touch with them at [email protected]
Thursday, October 14, 2021, Cairo time
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other scholarships here