The University of Waikato welcomes applications for University of Waikato International Excellence Scholarship award program available to candidates enrolling for the first time into a Foundation program, undergraduate or postgraduate program in the 2021/22 academic year.
The University of Waikato International Excellence Scholarship award was created to advance educational opportunities, facilitate globalisation and support talented foreign candidates who are getting into foundation, undergraduate, or postgraduate programs for the first time at the University of Waikato.
The University will not be providing the International Excellence Scholarship award program to candidates starting their studies online in 2020. All new foreign candidates who wish to start their studies online in 2020 will, by default, be granted a 20% discount on their tuition fees in 2020 and will obtain a travel grant once they move to New Zealand for face-to-face teaching once the borders reopen.
The University accepts applications for the University of Waikato International Excellence Scholarship award program from foreign candidates who are presently in New Zealand and are new to schooling at Waikato, for face-to-face study in 2021. For any questions, please get in touch with [email protected].
Worth of University of Waikato International Excellence Scholarship
The Scholarship award will have a value of up to NZD$10,000 and will be applied straight to the beneficiary’s tuition fees for their selected program/s of study either at the period of offer or once their registration is concluded. The amount provided for this Scholarship award is at the sole discretion of the Selection Committee and will be on the basis of criteria like, but not limited to, total available funding, financial need, grades, number of candidates, number of credits enrolled, period of enrolment and selected degree program.
Eligibility for University of Waikato International Excellence Scholarship
- This Scholarship award is planned to support gifted foreign candidates who are enrolling for the first time into undergraduate or postgraduate programs at the University of Waikato.
- The Scholarship awards have a value of up to NZD$10,000, and will be granted to successful candidates who display exceptional academic accomplishment.
Candidates for the University of Waikato International Excellence Scholarship award have to be nationals of the nations listed in this Table.
|Region||Eligible Countries (by citizenship)|
|North America||USA, Canada|
|Latin America||Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, Chile, Ecuador|
|Europe||Germany, France, UK, Norway|
|East Asia||China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan,South Korea,|
|South Asia||India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Mongolia, Bhutan, Pakistan, Nepal, Maldives|
|South East Asia||Indonesia, Cambodia, Malaysia, Laos, Singapore, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam|
|Middle East||Jordan, Iran|
|Africa||South Africa, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mauritius|
How to Apply for University of Waikato International Excellence Scholarship
If you are new to the University of Waikato, you will be required to:
- Fill out an Application to Enrol BEFORE you can gain access to put in for Scholarships and Awards (This application is not an obligation to school at the University of Waikato and can be retracted or updated at any time).
- Applications for the Scholarship award can be handed in at any time.
- Decisions will typically be made within 8 weeks from the period of application. However, some verdicts might take up to 12 weeks (e.g., when the University is not in operation in late December).
- Candidates are required to be intending to enrol on the date specified in their Offer of Place.
- Candidates are required to be overseas at the time of submitting their application for the scholarship award, and are required to submit their scholarship application before submitting a visa application to travel to New Zealand.
- Candidates are required to submit the following as part of their online application:
- their provisional or unconditional offer of admission from the University of Waikato; and
- a personal statement that describes the following (on the template):
- What are your career goals/ambitions?
- How will a foreign education experience assist you to attain these goals?
- What extra qualities/skills do you possess that make you a perfect applicant for this scholarship award and an ambassador for the University of Waikato?
Applications for 2021 can be made at any time
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other scholarships here