The University of Helsinki grants the University of Helsinki Scholarship award to exceptional candidates coming from nations outside the EU/EEA area and Switzerland who desire to pursue a Master’s program at the University of Helsinki.
Established in 1829, the University of Helsinki is one of the earliest state-owned research universities in Finland. The university is famous globally for its high-quality education, research, and novelty. It is rated among the top 1% of the world’s best research universities and provides a broad range of study program to over 34,800 candidates coming from all over the world.
University of Helsinki Scholarship Information:
- Host university: University of Helsinki;
- Host country: Helsinki, Finland;
- Application deadline: January 15, 2022;
- Fields and study level: Any master’s degree program obtainable at the University of Helsinki.
Scholarship value categories:
- Fully Funded Scholarship award (Tuition fee + 10 000 EUR).
- Full Tuition fee scholarship award.
- Tuition fees range from 13 000 to 18 000 euros.
The scholarship award length is two years. Candidates have to be enrolled in a full-time study program (earn a minimum of 55 ECTS each year) to satisfy the requirements of the scholarship award.
The scholarship award is granted for the first year, subsequently, the students’ progress will be evaluated, and on the basis of that, the candidates will continue receiving the scholarship award.
Benefits of University of Helsinki Scholarship
Student Union (HYY) membership fee comprising:
- Free or cheap health care services offered by the Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS).
- Candidate’s meal discounts in Unicafe restaurants.
- Discounts on public transport.
- Unisport services at low prices.
The University of Helsinki grants the scholarship award beneficiaries the chance to become members of the University of Helsinki Student Ambassador Program.
Eligibility for University of Helsinki Scholarship
All candidates have to satisfy the following eligibility conditions to be given consideration for the University of Helsinki Scholarship award:
- Candidates have to apply for a Master’s program at the University of Helsinki, and they have to satisfy its eligibility conditions.
- Candidates have to be liable for foreign tuition fees: Citizens of nations outside the EU/EEA, who do not have permanent residence status in the EU/EEA area are expected to pay tuition fees. Candidates can read the FAQ at the Studyinfo website to verify whether or not they are liable for tuition fees.
- Candidates are required to meet the eligibility conditions for gaining an entry visa and residence permit for Finland.
- Candidates are required to have gotten excellent results in their past studies and be able to verify this in their application.
How to Apply for University of Helsinki Scholarship
Candidates are required to first find the Master’s program they wish to put in for through the Degree Finder website. Subsequently, they have to check the guide on how to apply to the master’s program and get ready the required documents.
Candidates can submit applications for a University of Helsinki Scholarship through the same application form they used to submit applications for the Master’s program and will need to submit all the needed documents.
The scholarship awards for new candidates will be granted on the basis of academic overall evaluation: Past academic performance and possible letters of motivation, and also the grounds presented by candidates in their award applications will be considered.
You may get a scholarship award only in a category you have submitted an application for, but you can put in for more than one scholarship category.
- The Master’s degree program carries out an academic evaluation of your degree application and your scholarship award application.
- The Master’s degree program makes a proposal to the Scholarship award Committee regarding the scholarship award application.
- The Scholarship award Committee makes the final decision on the scholarship award.
If you are granted a scholarship award, you will obtain a formal acceptance letter with the information concerning your scholarship award status.
Please be aware that the University of Helsinki Scholarship award program is very competitive and only very limited number of scholarship awards can be granted.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other Europe Scholarships here