The UN Women Comic and Cartoon Competition is organized by UN Women together with the European Commission, Belgium, France, Mexico, and also in collaboration with Cartooning for Peace, to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the innovative Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, which set forth how to take away the systemic barriers that hold women back from equal involvement in all areas of life. The Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action is an idealistic agenda for the enablement of women and girls, everywhere.
To celebrate this anniversary, UN Women has created the multigenerational campaign, “Generation Equality: Realizing women’s rights for an equal future”, and will be organizing an international gathering for gender equality, the Generation Equality Forum, co-chaired by the Governments of Mexico and France, with the direction and partnership of civil society. The Forum will start in Mexico City at the end of March 2021 and conclude in Paris, France, in early June 2021.
As an international public conversation for crucial action and responsibility for gender equality, the Forum will commemorate the power of women’s rights activism, feminist solidarity, and youth leadership to accomplish revolutionary change.
Eligibility for UN Women Comic and Cartoon Competition
- You are within 18 and 28 years old.
- You approve of gender equality and acknowledging women’s rights for an equal future.
- You seek to express your dream of a gender-equal generation in a drawing.
- Set free the power of your resourcefulness and PICTURE IT!
Selection of winners for the UN Women Comic and Cartoon Competition
The first-, second-, and third-prize recipients of the contest will get the opportunity to attend the virtual opening of the Forum in Paris, and will be part the change makers of this generation, comprising foreign establishments, civil society, business, governments, cities, trade unions, parliaments, media, and more! Furthermore, an exposition with the cartoons from all finalists will happen during the Generation Equality Forum in Paris (in situ/virtual, based on the situation).
The prizes will be:
- First Prize: EUR 1200
- Second Prize: EUR 750
- Third Prize: EUR 500
Furthermore, the recipients will have their work showcased on several platforms, like the website of Cartooning for Peace, but also on websites of other approved partners and their respective social media platforms.
In collaboration with Cartooning for Peace, professional and famous comic artists from various corners of the world have been selected as members of the jury. Finalists will be chosen by a jury comprised of professional comic artists and high-level reps of the organizing partners, consisting of:
- Adène (Anne Derenne), comic artist and associate of Cartooning for Peace, France
- Boligán, comic artist and member of Cartooning for Peace, Mexico
- Alexander De Croo, Prime Minister of Belgium
- Koen Doens, Director-General, Directorate General for International Partnerships, European Commission
- Mauricio Escanero Figueroa, Leader of the Mission of Mexico to the European Union and Ambassador to the Kingdom of Belgium and the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
- Hélène Farnaud-Defromont, Ambassador of France to Belgium
- Chamathya Fernando, Youth Activist and associate of the Generation Equality Youth Task Force
- Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, UN Women Executive Director
- Alaa Satir, comic artist and associate of Cartooning for Peace, Sudan
How to Apply for UN Women Comic and Cartoon Competition
They welcome you to picture your idea of what a gender equal generation looks like.
Get used with the Beijing Conference and its resulting document, the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, and get motivation for your drawing in the “12 critical areas of concern”. Please be aware that your comic or cartoon is required to be without words.
Please go through the “Terms and conditions” for comprehensive information on the UN Women Comic and Cartoon Competition.
Application Deadline: 14 March 2021.
The submission deadline is 14 March 2021.
For More Information on UN Women Comic and Cartoon Competition:
Not interested in UN Women Comic and Cartoon Competition? See other scholarships here