Auckland University of Technology is inviting applications for the Marsden PhD Scholarship in Light Responsive Drug Development Systems in New Zealand for the 2021/2022 academic session.
This synthetic chemistry project intends to come up with light-responsive organelle-targeted drug release systems to control precisely when and where drugs showcase their therapeutic activity in a cellular setting. Fluorescence will also be used to track in real-time the distribution of the inactive drug before using light to trigger its activation at the desired subcellular location.
Worth of Marsden PhD Scholarship at AUT
- Stipend $27,500 plus PhD domestic tuition fees
Eligibility for Marsden PhD Scholarship at AUT
- Applicants must have completed a Bachelor of Science (Honours) or Master of Science in chemistry.
- Experience and knowledge in organic chemistry and procedures for characterisation, comprising NMR spectroscopy, and also good communication skills in written and spoken English is crucial.
- The chosen applicant will display enthusiasm and possess an exceptional academic record and be ready to carry out the doctoral study at Auckland University of Technology (AUT) located in New Zealand.
- Preference will be given to NZ Citizens, NZ Permanent Residents or international students currently onshore in New Zealand.
- Applying for a scholarship and admission into AUT are separate processes at AUT. Candidates are required to fulfil all conditions for admission to the Doctoral Programme in AUT.
- Criteria for the PhD program include having concluded the needed academic qualifications for direct entry and satisfying the conditions for English language adeptness. Minimum English language requirement for international applicants – IELTS scores of 6.5 overall with 7 in writing and all other bands 6.0 or higher. High proficiency in English is essential.
How to Apply for Marsden PhD Scholarship at AUT
Applicants for the Marsden PhD Scholarship must apply by email to Dr Cassandra Fleming ([email protected]) attaching:
- A cover letter describing your research experience and interests.
- A brief (no more than 2 pages) curriculum vitae.
- Academic transcripts and certificates for any previous tertiary study completed at a university other than AUT.
- Details (including phone and email) of two academic referees.
Selection for Marsden PhD Scholarship will be on the basis of proven strength in the following: 1. the candidate’s academic record 2. past research experience and publication record (if appropriate) relevant to this project 3. the referees’ statements. The Selection panel’s decision will be final; if suitable applicants are not available the panel will not award the scholarship. The position may then be re-advertised.
How and when do candidates get notified of the decision?
The successful applicant will be gotten in touch with by Dr Fleming and the University Scholarships Office.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
The successful applicant will be required to sign an AUT Research Scholarship Contract.
The anticipated start date is 1st March 2021 but will depend on the completion of AUT enrolment and obtaining a student visa (if required). The scholarship must be taken up within four months of the offer of scholarship.
Conditions of Acceptance and Appointment
- The stipend cannot be released until the successful applicant is enrolled in the PhD programme at AUT.
- The anticipated start date is 1st March 2021 but will depend on the completion of AUT enrolment and obtaining a student visa (if required). The scholarship must be taken up within four months of the offer of scholarship.
- The chosen candidate has to be ready to commit full-time to their program of research.
- The successful applicant will be required to sign an AUT Research Scholarship Contract.
- This scholarship may not be held in conjunction with any other scholarship without the approval of the selection panel and the Scholarships Office.
- Beneficiaries have to be resident in New Zealand to get stipend payments. Allowances will not be paid to candidates residing off-shore. Reasonable annual holiday leave overseas of no more than four weeks is acceptable.
- Scholarships payments will not be made retrospectively.
- Recipients must notify the School and the Scholarships Office in writing if they wish to apply for a Leave of Absence or withdraw from their programme.
Deadline: Application closes February 20, 2021.
Not interested in Marsden PhD Scholarship at AUT? See other scholarships here