Swansea University is taking applications from qualified candidates for the Eira Francis Davies Scholarship for foreign postgraduates from developing nations in the UK for the 2021/2022 school year.
The Eira Francis Davies Scholarship award is a full tuition fee scholarship granted to female scholars who are citizens of, and ordinarily resident in, a developing nation, who are offered admission to pursue a postgraduate taught Master’s degree program within the College of Human and Health Sciences at Swansea University.
Eira Francis Davies was given birth to on 17th March 1925 to Annie and David Davies in Glynneath, South Wales.
Eira comprehended the value and transformative power of learning; particularly to women from nations whose economic, social and traditional background might bring about challenges and barriers to the accomplishment of their potential. As a woman of autonomous means, in 2012 Eira bestowed a substantial fund to Swansea University for the creation of a Scholarship award in her name. Her intention was to assist such women accomplish their potential, and in doing so advance both their community and home nation.
Swansea University is a research-focused school that has been making an impact since 1920. The University community excels on research and discovery and provides the right balance of exceptional teaching and research, matched by a desirable quality of life. Their spectacular waterfront campuses make them a desired location for students and staff from all over the world, and its multicultural community offers an international perspective, allowing those who join them to grow skills and knowledge that set them on successful and elevating careers.
Eira had a strong interest in the women that her scholarship award sponsored. She monitored their progress and their stories and relished meeting them at the yearly Scholarship Winners Dinner – while preferring to keep her identity hidden, she never showed herself as their sponsor.
Eira Francis Davies died on 9th September 2020 aged 95. Swansea University happily continues to sponsor the Eira Francis Davies Scholarship award as a testament to Eira’s legacy and astonishing vision.
Worth of Eira Francis Davies Scholarship
This scholarship award is a full-tuition fee award.
Eligibility for Eira Francis Davies Scholarship
- Possess a minimum 2:1 Bachelor’s degree or related qualification
- Have obtained an offer to enrol in an eligible, full-time, postgraduate taught Master’s degree program in the College of Human and Health Sciences at Swansea University.
- Satisfy English language ability requirements as stated within their condition of offer and UKVI criteria
- Be female
- Be a new scholar to Swansea University
- Within their application, display strong academic ability and financial hardship
- Be a citizen of, and typically resident in, a non-EU, developing nation listed by the World Bank Country and Lending Groups cataloguing as being low or low to middle income. Eligible nations can be found here
- Not be qualified for any other financial assistance from Swansea University e.g. tuition fee discounts through cooperative links, scholarship awards or bursaries.
- Please note, scholars progressing from The College, Swansea University are not qualified to apply for an international scholarship award.
How to Apply for Eira Francis Davies Scholarship
- Please access your application form here:Eira Francis Davies Scholarship Award Application Form
- Send your completed application through email to: [email protected]
- For additional details, please email: [email protected]
- Ensure you possess an offer of study with Swansea University before you apply for a scholarship award – they will only give consideration to students who have met their requirements to study with them.
- Be unambiguous about why you deserve a scholarship award – this may be based on things you have done or will do
- Fill out the scholarship award application form – many candidates do not answer the questions completely which makes it unlikely that they will be granted a scholarship
- Apply before the closing date – demand for scholarship awards is high, so submit an application as soon as you are able to.
- Application ends on June 1, 2021.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other scholarships here