Massey University in New Zealand is taking applications for the Catherine Baxter Postgraduate Scholarship for the 2022/2023 academic year.
This scholarship award is financed from a donation to Massey Agricultural College by Thomas Nimmo Baxter, an Auckland barrister, and solicitor, following his demise in 1933. It is christened after his wife Catherine Baxter (née Stuart), who passed on in 1930. The Catherine Baxter Postgraduate Scholarship award backs research in dairy science. The Massey University is one of New Zealand’s foremost academic institutions for postgraduate study.
The Catherine Baxter Postgraduate Scholarship is awarded by the University Scholarships Committee on the recommendation of the Applied Academic Programmes Scholarships Committee, College of Sciences. The University Scholarships Committee has the right to refrain from making an award if there are no suitable applicants and its decision is final. The Programmes aim to challenge and inspire you while providing you with the skills to change your world.
About Massey University
Massey University is a university located in Palmerston North, New Zealand, with substantial campuses in Albany and Wellington. Massey University has around 30,883 students, 13,796 of whom are extramural or distance-learning students, making it New Zealand’s second largest university when not counting international students. Research is carried out on all three campuses, and over 3,000 foreign students from more than 100 nations study at the university.
Massey University is the only higher academic institution in New Zealand providing degrees in aviation, veterinary medicine, dispute resolution, and nanoscience. Massey’s veterinary school is accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association and is recognised in the United States, Australia, Canada, and Britain.
Massey University has grown from a small agricultural college in Palmerston North to become New Zealand’s largest residential university spread over three cities. Massey University now has three campuses in the North Island, and the highest number of extramural students.
Massey offers the only veterinary science programmes in New Zealand. Massey also provides the only Bachelor of Aviation degree in New Zealand. Massey University qualifications are recognised worldwide and several programmes have international accreditation.
Worth of Catherine Baxter Postgraduate Scholarship
- The value is decided each year from the interest accrued on the capital.
- The scholarship is tenable for a single academic year, but recipients may reapply subject to meeting the eligibility criteria.
- The scholarship is awarded annually.
Eligibility for Catherine Baxter Postgraduate Scholarship
- Applicants must be enrolled full time for a postgraduate degree involving research of relevance to dairy science.
The selection will be based on:
- academic merit
- the relevance of the applicant’s course of study to dairy science
- the benefit to the applicant and their study in receiving this scholarship, and how well the applicant meets the conditions and intentions of the scholarship
The selection committee may take account of other scholarships and bursaries held by the applicants in seeking an equitable distribution of funds.
How to Apply for Catherine Baxter Postgraduate Scholarship
- Visit the website and fill the online application form.
- All fields with a red asterisk * must be completed.
- A Supporting Statement must be written for upload in Section 4.
- If you are undertaking a research project, a brief outline should be prepared for upload in Section 4 on the website.
- A current CV can also be attached in Section 4 if you feel this will provide further information not already covered in other parts of this application.
The scholarship is awarded by the University Scholarships Committee on the recommendation of the Applied Academic Programmes Scholarships Committee, College of Sciences.
Conditions of the Scholarship
The Catherine Baxter Postgraduate Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other scholarships, bursaries or awards, so long as those scholarships, bursaries or awards permit co-tenure.
Application closes March 10, 2022.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other New Zealand Scholarships here