Cardiff Metropolitan University in the United Kingdom is taking applications for the Cardiff Metropolitan Sanctuary Award in the 2021/22 school year.
In November 2018, Cardiff Metropolitan University was acknowledged as a University of Sanctuary due to the good work the university engages in to raise awareness of sanctuary seeker problems and to assist asylum seekers and refugees.
Since 2016, the University has provided two postgraduate sanctuary scholarship awards each year. This year, the University verifies that it will be providing two postgraduate AND two undergraduate scholarship awards for entry in September 2019.
The University is devoted to offering equal opportunities to tertiary education for people looking for sanctuary in the United Kingdom and helping them to meet their full prospect and ambitions.
Worth of Cardiff Metropolitan Sanctuary Award
For 2021 cycle, there will be two undergraduate and two postgraduate scholarship awards available. Each scholarship includes:
- A complete fee waiver for the undergraduate or graduate program the candidate holds an offer for;
- Assistance toward domestic travel to Cardiff Met campus (Owing to the changing nature of the present COVID-19 pandemic, the particulars of this stipend will be verified to the successful candidates in due course)
- Support toward a lunch stipend during term time. (Owing to the changing nature of the present COVID-19 pandemic, the particulars of this stipend will be verified to the successful candidates in due course)
- Personal assistance to enable candidates to identify and transcend barriers to accomplishment on their degree program.
Eligibility for Cardiff Metropolitan Sanctuary Award
All candidates are required to meet all of the following conditions to be given consideration for the Cardiff Metropolitan Sanctuary Award:
- You are an refugee in the United Kingdom or partner/dependant added on the application of an asylum seeker in the UK
- You have gotten a decision on your request for asylum and you have been given Discretionary Leave to Remain (DLR), Limited Leave to Remain (LLR) or some other type of temporary status like Humanitarian Protection. Please Note: Spouses/civil partners should have been the spouse/civil partner as at when the asylum application was made. Children/step-children should have been aged under 18 as at when the asylum application was made.
- You possess a conditional or unconditional offer of admission from Cardiff Metropolitan University for entry in September 2021 onto a degree program.
- You are presently attending a school, college, voluntary or community group, which can give a reference in support of your application.
- You have not gotten an equal degree from another institution or nation.
- You reside within considerable distance to effortlessly commute to university. (A Cardiff Met bus pass is part of the scholarship award).
- You do not need support for housing and living costs.
Candidates are required to meet ALL of these strict eligibility conditions and be in a position to confirm their circumstances so as to apply. Candidates who do not satisfy all the conditions will not be given consideration for the Cardiff Metropolitan Sanctuary Award.
How to Apply for Cardiff Metropolitan Sanctuary Award
You will first be required to possess a conditional or unconditional offer of admission to study at Cardiff Met. If you have not yet handed in an application to the university, Future Learn offers a free online program to assist asylum seekers through the application procedure of applying to a UK university.
Please go through the Sanctuary Award Application Form 2021 Guidance Notes carefully prior to filling out the Cardiff Metropolitan Sanctuary Award Application Form.
Furthermore to the application form, candidates should also hand in a personal statement, a reference and proof of their present immigration status/pending status.
Please be aware that this is a competitive procedure and there are limited amounts of scholarship awards available, therefore, not all applications will be successful.
Candidates will be informed if their application has been shortlisted within 4 weeks of the application closing date.
Successful applicants will be notified by 1st September 2021. Please note, candidates may be asked to attend an interview which will happen between July and August 2021.
Candidates have to apply before the application closing date of 5.00 pm on July 5, 2021.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other scholarships here