The Australian Government RTP Scholarship award aims to award financial assistance to students from all around the world, including local students, studying Research Doctorate or Research Master’s degree programs, referred to as HDRs at an Australian higher education provider.
This Research Training Program is a scholarship award awarded by the Australian Government and administered by the University of New South Wales.
The Australian Government RTP Scholarship award offers block grants, on a calendar year basis, to HEPs to support both local and foreign candidates undertaking Research Doctorate and Research Master’s degree programs, referred to as higher degrees by research (HDRs).
The goals of the Australian Government RTP Scholarship award scheme are to:
- offer flexible funding provisions to support the training of local students and foreign students undertaking HDRs at Australian HEPs
- provide graduates with the skills needed to build careers in academic world and other areas of the labour market
- back partnership between HEPs and industry and other research end-users
- support foreign candidates undertaking HDR education at Australian HEPs.
Master degree duration:
- The RTP scholarship awards have a maximum length of two years for the master of research program. However, the length of the scholarship award is extended to two years and six months, because of the impacts of the covid-19 contagion.
Doctorate degree duration:
- The RTP scholarship awards has a minimum length of three years for a research doctorate degree, and a maximum length of four years. However, the length of the scholarship is extended to four years and six months, because of the impacts of the covid-19 contagion.
Benefits of Australian Government RTP Scholarship
Candidates can be granted Australian Government RTP Scholarship award for one or more of the following:
- tuition fees offset
- allowance for general living expenses
- allowances related to the ancillary expense of research degree programs.
Eligibility for Australian Government RTP Scholarship
- Applicants should submit English language adeptness proof that verifies they meet the minimum English language conditions of UNSW, whether if they are local or international students.
- All candidates have to complete the GTE & Financial Declaration Form and, if needed, submit proof of their ability to financially fund themselves and fund all living expenses, fees, and other related costs for the length of their studies.
- If the candidate is a foreign student, he/she will have to establish that he/she is a Genuine Temporary Entrant, either via self-funding, putting in for a UNSW Research Scholarship award, an alternative scholarship award, or an external funding.
- Candidates have to consider whether they need to get in touch with a supervisor or undergo an EOI.
- Some faculties or programs may have extra eligibility conditions.
- Research Training Program scholarship awards are awarded to local and international candidates who are enrolled in a Higher Research Degree program at an Australian higher education provider.
- Candidates have to be full-time students.
How to Apply for Australian Government RTP Scholarship
The application for this scholarship award differs from an institution to another, and it’s the universities that are in charge of the application and selection procedure for the Research Training Program scholarship award.
As for the University of New South Wales, candidates have to simply specify that they would like to be given consideration for a University of New South Wales scholarship award on their application for admission to a program.
When you have gotten a supervisor, had your interview, come up with a research description, and arranged your supporting documents, you are set to lodge your application. Only complete applications (i.e. with all needed documents) will be processed for evaluation.
If you wish to be given consideration for a scholarship award, simply specified this on the application form and choose the applicable scholarship award round for your preferred term start date. For additional details on applying for a scholarship award, please go to Graduate Research Scholarships.
Application closing dates can be found at Key Dates.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other scholarships here